Monday, April 04, 2016

Twisted and Chain Cable Headbands - FREE Knit Patterns!



Much to our dismay, we've been hit with yet another bout of snow in Southwestern Ontario.  Spring sure does take its time!  Although I'd rather be out in the garden, it gave me a bit of cozy time to knit up a couple headbands before the snow is gone for good!  Here are a couple of them I've whipped up, including patterns.  My instructions for both are in this blog!


Please note that all commenting has been closed, please go to my new website www.homemadebygiggles.com to this post and comment there instead!

Abbreviations used:
CO - cast on
k - knit
p - purl
RS - right side of work
WS - wrong side of work
sl - slip
st - stitch
cn - cable needle
LH - left hand
BO - bind off

Chain Cable Headband




This headband was made using Vanna's Choice yarn in Grey Marble.

(I used 6 mm needles and worsted weight yarn)

Pattern: chart
CO 20 and follow the chart below (bottom to top)
Empty squares are k on RS, p on WS
Dashed squares are p on RS, k on WS
Cables as marked - the chart shows 2 pattern repeats, I did a total of 6 repeats (3 charts) for my headband
Using a 3rd needle, pick up each stitch from the first row
BO in pattern from both needles to join, then fasten off


Pattern: written instructions
(click here for cable abbreviation instructions)
CO 20 st
Row 1: k4, p2, k8, p2, k4
Row 2: p4, k2, p8, k2, p4
Row 3: repeat row 1
Row 4: repeat row 2
Row 5: k4, p2, C4F, C4B, p2, k4
Row 6: repeat row 2
Row 7: repeat row 1
Row 8: repeat row 2
Row 9: repeat row 1
Row 10: repeat row 2
Row 11: k4, p2, C4B, C4F, p2, k4
Row 12: repeat row 2
Row 13: repeat row 1
Row 14: repeat row 2
Row 15: repeat row 1
Row 16: repeat row 2
Repeat these 16 rows until you reach the desired length, I did 6 total sets of these 16 rows
Using a 3rd needle, pick up each stitch from the first row
BO in pattern from both needles to join, then fasten off





Twisted Headband




I made this twisted headband pretty quick (and a matching one for my daughter!) using this beautiful Loops & Threads Colortone yarn in purple.  The yarn is so beautiful on its own it didn't need textured stitches.  I by no means 'created' this pattern, I just made it up but know that it's a common way to make it!  There are lots of patterns available for free (see Hot Mess Headband and Twistin' the Night Away on Ravelry).  For mine, here are the basic instructions:

(I used 8mm needles and super bulky yarn)

Pattern:
CO 14
28 rows of k on the RS and p on the WS (called stockinette stitch)
sl 7 st onto cn, k 7 from LH needle, k 7 from cn
28 rows of stockinette
Using a 3rd needle, pick up each stitch from the first row
BO in pattern from both needles to join, then fasten off






Please feel free to make and sell items made from these patterns, but please link back to my post if you do.  Please do not copy my patterns and claim it as your own, or publish the patterns elsewhere without permission.  Happy crafting!

Link to pattern in Ravelry: Chain Cable Headband

Please note that all commenting has been closed, please go to my new website www.homemadebygiggles.com to this post and comment there instead!